contains the earliest experimental apparatus from the Cavendish,
dating back to the founding of the Laboratory in the 1870s.
display cabinet against the wall contains apparatus bought
before 1877. Next to the cabinet is a bust
of James Clerk Maxwell, and a guide
to the museum.
on the exterior wall is a display about the
buildings of the Cavendish Laboratory, including its many
extensions. Maxwell's Viscosity of
Gases Apparatus is free standing next to his original
standing display cabinet by the staircase contains apparatus
belonging to Maxwell, much of which he used before becoming
Professor. To the left of the cabinet is Rayleigh's
Spinning Coil for the Determination of the Ohm. Click
down the corridor to see more about Lord Rayleigh and J.J.
Thomson's work in the Cavendish.
against the far wall is a Wehrsen electrostatic
click on the QuicktimeVR for more information about exhibits,
or to move around the museum. For help,